Friday, October 17, 2008

Musket Marty previews "Yesterdays"

Dear Fans,


It appears that in merely one week you'll all get my first offering in two years. I hope all you critics will give it a fair look and help me out with a review or four.


So, what's the film about? It's all quite simple...


Efram Reed (Emile Hirsch) is struck by failure all at once and makes the decision to take the big leap to the afterlife. He finds this decision to be stumped by the weird appearance of fate that sends him several months in to the past to where his trouble with began. Given another chance with the only woman (Martha MacIsaac) that he's ever loved, Reed is tickled with feelings of shock and awe.


The first night he lies down to sleep he finds it all not as simple as it appears. Every night he falls asleep he is greeted with change in the present, forcing him to live two lives at once. As Reed's relationship with his first love beginning to wane towards familiar territory he is greeted in the present by the kind face of Emily (Alison Lohman) who slowly changes his perception that past battles are worth revisiting.


The snag comes when Reed realizes with every move in the past guiding his future that he may be forced to revisit the broken relationships he had with his first love and his reclusive uncle Walcott, played by Peter Sarsgaard.


There's a greeting to the world of my newest film.


I figured any preview would not be complete without a scene of sorts, so here is a look at Reed's first unofficial date with Emily. It comes after their first meeting in which Emily decided it would be better that they not exchange names, so things didn't get too serious too fast...

INT. PRICEMART - JEWELRY DEPARTMENT (PRESENT)
Emily is leaning against the case looking bored, playing with the bubble-gum in her mouth. Reed’s feet move quicker than ever as he makes his way to her.

EMILY
(Refreshed)
Well.

Emily reaches her hand across the case.

REED
My name is Reed. Efram Reed. People call me Reed.

EMILY
Because your first name sucks?

REED
I wouldn’t say my first name sucks.

EMILY
I wasn’t either, I mean... I just hear these things. Did it strike a chord?

REED
From what I hear Efram is easily in the top eighty as far as most popular first names.
(Beat)
I doubt your name even cracks the top one hundred.

Reed shakes hands with Emily.

EMILY
I’m Emily.

Reed gains a sense of comfort through Emily’s interest.

REED
I’ve got a party to hit tonight.

EMILY
That sounds like fun.

REED
You have any plans?

EMILY
(Thinking)
Uh...
(Beat)
Oh! I do need to hit up the thrift stores and find some white blazers.

REED
(Perplexed)
Well, we could always do that before. I was going to go pick up some music.

EMILY
(Excited)
Great!

EXT. CITY STREET - DOWNTOWN - DAY (PRESENT)
Reed stands at the corner of a main street, his eyes wandering in search of a certain someone.
Emily is suddenly standing behind Reed. She taps him on the shoulder. Reed turns and smirks.

EMILY
Wonderful day, don’t you think?

REED
Yes.
(Beat)
What were we going to a thrift shop for?

EMILY
I need some costumes for a play a few friends are doing in the square.

REED
(Interested)
Oh, sounds great. What’s it about?

EMILY
(Cocksure)
It’s an adaptation.

REED
Of what?

EMILY
Twins.

REED
The uh... Arnold Schwarzenegger movie?

EMILY
(Excited)
Yes! Except they turned it in to a musical.

Reed puts out his arm and waits for Emily to interlock hers with his.

REED
(Amazed)
Sign me up.

INT. THRIFT STORE - LATER (PRESENT)
Surrounded by the most random of crowds of shoppers Reed and Emily look over a rack of blazers.

Reed notices a denim jacket and takes it off the rack. He chuckles to himself as he raises it to his chest and looks at Emily for approval.

EMILY
If you were a gutter punk who owned several patches, maybe.

Reed shrugs and puts it back on the rack. A HIPSTER with a very well groomed beard and whatever ironic shirt that he found in his closet this morning glares at Reed as he takes the denim jacket off the rack.

REED
(To the man, quietly)
I think it’s terrific.

EMILY
(Loudly)
Yes!

Emily is holding two white blazers and smiling with child-like anticipation.

REED
One of those is definitely smaller than the -
(Beat)
Oh, got it.

EMILY
I know a guy who looks exactly like Danny DeVito.

REED
Who’s playing Arnold?

EMILY
The backup center at the college.
(Beat)
I don’t know much about basketball, he answered the ad on Craig’s List... is he going to be tall?

REED
Does he play basketball?

EMILY
Yes.

REED
I imagine he will be much taller than you or I.

EMILY
Awesome.

INT. RECORD STORE - NIGHT (PRESENT)
Browsing through a seemingly endless line of CDs at separate ends of the store are Emily and Reed. A slow old Motown soul song plays in the store.

There are a series of time lapses as they are seen slowly moving closer to each other in their browsing until they finally stand back to back.

Emily turns her head and gets a quick look at Reed as he brings a CD very close to his face, having trouble reading the tracklisting.
Emily laughs quietly.

REED
Hey. I’m far sighted.
(Beat)
Does that mean I can’t see things up close? I didn’t go to college.

Reed turns and is face to face with Emily. Emily takes hold of both of Reed’s hands. She moves one to her shoulder and interlocks her fingers with the other.
Emily smiles as she rests her head on Reed’s shoulder, swaying back and forth with him to the music.

EMILY
(Intimately)
Nothing like a good slow-dance, right?

REED
I feel like the drunken nature of the parental slow-dance sessions I was around to see may not have helped me along the way.

EMILY
Weird family life?

REED
Well, to start things off they weren’t meant for each other.
(Beat)
Her a lowly dry-cleaner and him a secretary of state.

EMILY
(Chuckles)
I get it, not a subject of discussion you enjoy.
(Beat)
Just don’t lie to me.

REED
(Nods)
It won’t happen again.

Emily pirouettes with the guidance of Reed and comes back to him, again resting her head against his chest.

So there's your extended look at my new film. I hope you all come out and see it. You'll find the first look at "Space Travel On A Budget" attached to it, so look out for that. I have nothing more too add... but... here's a poster.

Photobucket


xoxo,
Musket Marty

No comments: